Monday, August 10, 2009

Back to Basics

My son is STILL SICK WITH A SINUS INFECTION. It has been 4 1/2 weeks since this ordeal began. Runny nose, congestion. He is absolutely miserable and there are boogers all over his clothes, my clothes, his toys, his hair, they're everywhere! He has trouble sleeping and usually wakes up crying once or twice because he can't breathe. He has started snoring, poor baby. He has had TWO round of antibiotics and they are not helping.


So, we have decided to take him to a naturopathic doctor. We can't get him in until Wednesday morning. Until then, the naturo MD told us to give him plenty of Vitamin C and keep using the booger sucker, which Max absolutely, positively hates. He thrashes from side to side, pushes our hands away, slaps at us. It makes him cry even harder and then his nose gets worse. It's a cycle.


But, if modern medicine can't help him, then we are going back to basics. Let's see what vitamins and minerals and homeopathic medicines can do for him. Can't hurt and hopefully we will be able to build up his immune system. I will keep everyone posted as to what the MD has to say on Wednesday.


In other mommy news, since my husband lost his job, we have been cutting corners, clipping coupons, purchasing less expensive foods (not as much organic for a while, unless it is for Max!). And I have decided to start making things from scratch instead of buying them already made. Is it worth it? Let's see...


A couple of days ago I decided to make tuna salad. I usually buy it already made from our local co-op. So, I purchased some tuna, celery, pickles, mayonnise, I already had the eggs, and I went to work in my kitchen.


Now, I understand that tuna salad is one of the easier dishes to make. However, patience is not a virtue of mine. I have never had patience and I probably never will. I don't like tedious chores. I don't have the patience for them. For instance, I love scrapbooking and making my own greeting cards, but I don't like making whole scrapbooks because it takes too long. I don't have the patience. Do you get the picture yet? Hurry up, I don't have all day. I HAVE NO PATIENCE!


So, when it came time to chop the pickles into tiny pieces and peel the hard-boiled eggs, I thought I would lose my mind. The shells never came off in bigger pieces, only teensy tiny jagged squares that took FOREVER to take off.


I tell ya, I have a newfound respect for my Aunt Brenda who makes deviled eggs every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas. From now on, I'm going to eat 5 or 6 of them just because I now know how freakin' long it takes to peel a damn egg! And, it took me an hour and a half to make the salad because I have an 11-month old who can only take hanging out in his walker for so long. I had to keep stopping to entertain him with one of my jazzy dance moves.


I'm not sure I will make tuna salad ever, ever again.


Today, I decided to make chocolate ice cream from scratch. My husband and I found an ice cream maker that we received for our wedding over three years ago that we have never used.

So, to the store I went to spend more on ingredients than just buying a gallon of ice cream would have cost. But, this way I know for sure it is gluten-free and I could control the fat content...which I made as high as possible by using whole milk and heavy whipping cream. If you're gonna make ice cream, might as well go all the way.

It was actually quite easy. The biggest pain was chopping up the chocolate. Besides that, it was quick and super duper thick and creamy.

This one I would do again. However, since we are trying to save money, it doesn't make much sense. But, when my husband finds a job, I'll be making 32 flavors at my house! Homemade egg nog ice cream! Can you imagine?!

3 comments:

  1. Homemade ice cream is SO good...but you are right about the expense! It is cheaper and easier to just pick up whatever is on sale at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Max's appt went well. My son has had a cold forever it feels and the runny nose is just out of control. Trying to use the "bugar snatcher," as I call it, is like trying to give a cat a bath...virtually impossible. I swear my son can "sense" when the snatcher is coming for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little Max. Hopefully Tara came up with something good for him. I cracked up at the "jazzy dance moves" comment! I can just picture it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your lovely thoughts...